Israeli airstrikes resumed overnight across Gaza, shattering a fragile two-month truce between Israel and Hamas and killing at least 350 Palestinians, including dozens of women and children, with over a thousand more wounded.
“The situation is terrible, we woke up to the sounds of bombings even though no shrapnel has yet reached our area,” said Fr. Gabriel Romanelli, parish priest of the Latin Church of the Holy Family, in a voice message sent to AsiaNews.
The latest escalation follows accusations by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that Hamas failed to release hostages and was planning “another October 7,” referencing the surprise attack by the Palestinian militant group last year.
Israeli Air Force fighters targeted what they described as military positions and Hamas leaders in a series of “extended raids.”
Hamas, in response, blamed Israel for ending the truce and reported over 350 fatalities. Palestinian sources claim at least five Hamas leaders, including the head of Gaza’s government, were killed, along with at least one Israeli hostage.
“We [in the parish] are fine for now, we try to continue to provide our service for everyone,” Fr. Romanelli said.
“To visit the refugees that we have welcomed in our premises from the beginning and who continue to stay with us. Especially the children of the nuns of Mother Teresa and the elderly, we have many elderly and sick people,” he added.
Fr. Romanelli also emphasized the importance of maintaining hope and faith amid the crisis, urging continued prayers for peace and an end to the war, while remaining attentive each day to how they can serve and support those in need.
The strikes, which spanned northern Gaza, Gaza City, Deir al-Balah, Khan Younis, and Rafah, have been welcomed by Israel’s far-right ministers including Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and former National Security head Itamar Ben-Gvir.
The timing coincides with Ramadan, a month of fasting and prayer for Muslims in Gaza, who are enduring the conflict under blockade conditions.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres voiced concern, saying he was “shocked” by the airstrikes “which have killed a significant number of civilians.”
He called for an immediate ceasefire, resumption of humanitarian aid, and the unconditional release of Israeli hostages.